Dr. Alden S. Bean has been Executive Director of CIMS since it moved to NC State in 2000. He founded the organization in 1984 at Lehigh University, where he had a long and distinguished career as a researcher and a Kenan professor. Prior to his Lehigh appointment, Dr. Bean spent 10 years with the National Science Foundation, and also served on the faculties of the University of Cincinnati, the State University of New York at Albany and Northwestern University. Dr. Bean served on the National Technological University’s Curriculum Committee and helped design the master’s degree programs in MoT for both NTU and Lehigh University. He holds a Ph.D. in organization theory from Northwestern University.
1. Official Reports of the President of the United States: First Annual Science and Technology Report to the Congress, transmitted by President Jimmy Carter to the U.S. Congress in August, 1978.
2. Second Annual Science and Technology Report to the Congress, transmitted by President Jimmy Carter to the U.S. Congress in June, 1980. "Benchmarking Your R&D: Results of the IRI/CIMS Annual R&D Survey for FY ’96 and Some Interpretations," with M. Jean Russo and Roger L. Whiteley, Research Technology Management, January - February 1998.
3. "Meet Your Competition: Results from the 1994 IRI/CIMS Annual R& D Survey," with Roger L. Whiteley and J. Jean Russo in Research Technology Management, January - February 1997.
4. "Why Some R&D Organizations Are More Productive than Other," with Roger L. Whiteley and M. Jean Russo in Research Technology Management, January - February 1995.
5. "Patterns of Industry Interaction with Federal Laboratories," in Technology Transfer, December 1994.
6. "External Partnering as a Response to Innovation Barriers and Global Competition in Biotechnology," with Noel P. Greis and Mark D. Dibner in Research Policy, March 1994.